You need fat. Despite all the low-fat options you find in the grocery store, your body needs fat. Fat helps keep our hormones (including insulin) well regulated, it feeds our hungry brain (60% of it is fat!), and it keeps us feeling full longer. Not to mention that fat is delicious. Of course not all fat is created equal. For example, trans fats are horrible for us, but fatty fish like the sardines shown above are full of healthy omega 3 fatty acids that help our body run.
Some good fats are grass-fed butter, avocados, ghee, unrefined coconut oil, and unrefined olive oil. Basically, I take the same approach when choosing fats as I do with choosing my food; namely, is it as close to a whole food (not processed) as it gets and was it grown/raised in an ethical and sustainable way? If the answer is yes, then I feel pretty comfortable eating it and giving it to my kid. If the answer is no, then I avoid it like the plague.
The recipe below is a great way to get in a bunch of good fat while having some veggies and a very filling meal.
Sardines and veggie bowl
- one TBS coconut oil
- one tin of skinless and boneless sardines packed in olive oil
- a handful or two of chopped spinach or other green you like
- one small leftover or freshly made roasted beets cut into bite sized pieces
- half a cup of leftover quinoa
- half a TBS olive oil
- three tsp of balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee the spinach in the coconut oil until bright green and wilted.
- Remove the spinach and add the sardines into the pan.
- Cook the sardines for a few minutes on either side. I like it to have a few nice crisp places before pulling it out of the pan.
- Assemble the quinoa, spinach, and beets into the bowl and then top it with the sardines.
- Mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over the bowl. Enjoy!
I was inspired to make this recipe by a dish my dear friend Leah made me. I hope this recipe inspires you to get in the kitchen and experiment with some yummy good fats!