Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but during the week it can also be the most hectic one. My husband and I wake up and start the morning at a dead run. We’re doing our best to motivate the older kiddo to get up and ready while trying to convince the youngest one that it’s not time to play. In all that chaos, we have to track down homework, track down that smell, and somehow manage to get breakfast in before heading out for the day. Enter overnight oats.
Like the name suggests, this is one of those meals you prepare ahead of time, throw it in the fridge, and retrieve when you are ready to eat. It’s simple, nutritious, and delicious.
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (I use Bob Redmills gluten free oats)
- 2 TBS chia seeds
- 1 Banana
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla (optional)
- 1/2 cup of yogurt or 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- Filtered water
- a handful of chopped nuts ( I like slivered almonds or raw walnuts)
- 1/4 cup frozen or fresh berries
- 1 TBS unsweetened dried coconut
- a handful of cacao nibs
- In a bowl mix all dry ingredients together, including any add-ins.
- Add yogurt or non-dairy milk and berries if using. Mix
- If using yogurt, add a few TBS of water until the oat mixture looks good and moist.
- Divide mixture between two pint jars or similar sized container with a lid.
- Place in the fridge for at least two hours before eating.
Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows
2 thoughts on “Overnight breakfast miracle!”
Thank you! I would love to hear if you try it and what ya think.