I want so badly to have the Sundays I was promised as a kid, “My I don’t have to run day.” But I do have to run…a lot. To deal with my manic Sundays that often bleed into my Mondays, I like to get in an easy, yummy meal that will satisfy the whole family. Enter the tempeh bowl.
1 package of tempeh (Feel free to use your protein of choice but you will need to change the name of the dish.)
1 bunch of kale (Chard works too if you are trying to reduce cruciferous vegetables.)
6oz of mushrooms
1 box rice noodles (We prefer brown rice and seaweed noodles – spaghetti squash or spiraled cut veggies would make the meal grain-free.)
2 to 3 TBS Tamari, soy sauce, or coconut aminos
3 TBS coconut oil or ghee
Sauce (Optional but delicious.)
2 to 3 TBS tahini
1 TBS miso paste (Any color will work. I used red for this one.)
1/4 cup + apple cider vinegar (I add ACV until I get the consistency I like, which is a bit runny.)
- Prepare noodles according to instructions on box.
- Prep the tempeh by steaming it for 10 minutes. This helps absorb the flavor. (Optional)
- Once steamed, cut the tempeh in to 2 by 1 inch rectangles and place in a bowl with the Tamari/soy/coconut aminos. Set aside.
- Wash and chop the kale and mushrooms.
- Using 1 TBS of oil, pan fry the tempeh until you get some nice brown edges. About 5 minutes.
- Using 1to 2 TBS of oil, sauté mushrooms for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add kale to pan and saute mushrooms and kale until the kale is soft.
- Salt kale and mushrooms to taste.
- Assemble all the amazing things you have made and top with your favorite seeds and condiments. Tonight we used the tahini miso sauce, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and ground flaxseeds.
- Mix the tahini with the miso well.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the tahini miso mixture until you reach the desired consistency and taste.
I like to create and share recipes that can be easily adapted for a variety of diet. I could easily see this same concept becoming a grain-free paleo meal as easily as it was a vegan meal. I hope you feel inspired to create something easy that you and your family can enjoy. Cheers!